Who are we and what we do
Summersdale is a vibrant, award-winning publisher that provides entertaining, informative and innovative content in the genres of general non-fiction, health and well-being, and gift and humour. We produce a diverse range of over 130 titles per year, with a backlist of over 800 titles.
What you will be doing
The focus of the role will be to ensure all office administration is carried out promptly and efficiently, monitor office facilities and supplies, and to act as a facilitator for the company’s Publishing Management System (Stison). You will also participate in both general and specific tasks relating to the work of the Sales, Marketing & Publicity and Editorial Departments.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to really make their mark in a rich and varied role. We’re looking for someone who is highly organised, always looking for ways to improve how things are done, and is flexible to the ever-changing demands of the business.
You’ll be based in our Chichester office and the role reports to the Head of Sales.
- Sorting and distributing post, responding to all general queries, including acknowledging and distributing email enquires where necessary
- Franking and taking post to Post Office
- Receiving and sorting deliveries (books, stationery etc.)
- Answering phones, responding to queries
- Putting together parcels, arranging couriers
- Sending out catalogues
- Providing occasional administrative support to the Directors
- Monitoring and ordering stock of general office supplies and consumables including ink cartridges for printers, stationery, material for refreshments, paper towels etc.
- Arranging seating, computer log-on, email addresses, how to access the server etc. for all new staff, including temporary interns
- Liaising with IT support both internally and externally to troubleshoot problems
- Sending rejection letters
- Ordering author and illustrator copies
- Arranging (via accounts dept.) author advances and fees and updating spreadsheets to reflect payments
SALES, MARKETING & PUBLICITY
- Devising and managing the production of seasonal and subject specific sales catalogues
- Stock ordering
- Sending out sales materials bi-monthly to reps and buyers
- Sending out finished copies of new books to reps and buyers
- Sending out samples as required
- Supporting the Sales team through research and other projects, in consultation with Head of Sales
- Supporting Sales Team with usage of publishing management system, e.g.: including updating front list and back list AIs to make sure content is current at all times (including adding endorsements/reviews /sales figures)
- Uploading review quotes to Stison
- Scanning in reviews
- Sending out review copies
- Supporting Sales & Marketing Team to produce digital marketing assets including Amazon A+ pages, image thumbnails and social media posts
- Helping to develop our influencer and blogger database
- Sending out publicity mailings and handling press enquiries when necessary
- Pro-actively seeking new ways to market our lists
PUBLISHING MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
- Acting as a co-facilitator for the company
- Responding to day-to-day queries and acting as a first port of call; escalating more complex queries when necessary
- Maintaining the Summersdale website to make sure data and information is up-to-date
- Liaising with the website provider to address any technical issues arising
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the jobholder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time to time
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for someone who is experienced, enthusiastic and organised, with a background in publishing, and knowledge of publishing management systems.
- Exceptional attention to detail, highly organised, and great at managing a varied workload with tight deadlines
- A self-starter, but also able to take direction
- Adaptable, ‘can do’ attitude
- A growth mindset and keen interest in innovation
Hachette and Summersdale employ people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
Salary: £24,000 + (dependent on experience)
Closing date: 12th May 2021
To apply, please click here.