Who we are and what we do
Orion Books, a division of Hachette UK, publishes commercial, award-winning popular fiction and non-fiction, with an excellent track record of publishing Sunday Times top ten bestsellers. We are home to bestselling authors and brands including the likes of Ian Rankin, Michael Connelly, Noel ‘The Supervet’ Fitzpatrick, Candice Carty-Williams, Adam Kay, Veronica Henry and the Hairy Bikers.
We believe that every story matters and our mission is to bring the best publishing to the greatest variety of people. You can find out more about our mission statement and values here: https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/imprint/orion/page/about-orion/
What you will be doing
You will be designing and art directing many high-profile projects, with a particular focus on commercial fiction and non-fiction. You will play a senior role in supporting and assisting the running of our Art department and line mange members of the team. You will be responsible for delivery the highest quality of creative within budget and on time and support a culture of commercial and market awareness amongst the design team. You will work closely with editors and publishers to ensure the visual identity of our covers supports the publishing strategy.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone with extensive design experience across the publishing industry and across multiple styles and genres, someone who is always looking to up their creative innovation and push boundaries. Creative, confident and an excellent presenter and people person, the key skills required are:
- In-depth knowledge of design, for print, packaging and digital
- Ability to create original and engaging design
- Sharp eye to spot design issues and ability to express what those issues are
- Ability to communicate with other designers, illustrators, editors, photographers and other image makers: through coherent briefs, inspirational comments and clear critique when necessary
- Understanding of commercial fiction and non-fiction market
- Consumer focused
- Highly developed commissioning and influencing skills
- Relevant market knowledge
- Negotiating skills
- Managing, inspiring and motivating other members of staff
- Ability to communicate vision for the design of the list
- Project management skills
What we offer
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package together with a creative and exciting working environment. Holiday leave is set to 25 days and Bank holidays.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
We also recognise the importance of a good work-life balance, and champion flexible working, including part-time and job shares for all our roles. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process if this is something you want to explore.
Salary range: Up to £45,000
Closing date: 8th March 2021