WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Hodder & Stoughton is a major publisher within Hachette UK, one of the UK’s biggest publishing groups. We publish a wide range of fiction and non-fiction titles and are renowned for passion, quality and delivering bestselling books in many different formats. The Crime & Thriller list is home to acclaimed authors including John Grisham, Peter Robinson, John Connolly, Erin Kelly and Sophie Hannah and this role will build on our track record of finding and publishing the best books in the genre with flair and dynamism.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
We are looking for a fiction editor to join the Hodder team. Reporting to the Publisher, you will be responsible for developing a commercially focused, profitable list in line with the imprint’s publishing strategy. With a particular focus on digital publishing, you will be responsible for the growth of the imprint’s commercial list, building strategies for our key authors, diversifying the range, acquiring new talent and growing the online community around our list. You will be an enthusiastic champion of your books from conception through to publication and beyond – collaborating closely with marketing, publicity, sales and rights. This is an exciting, varied and highly creative role for someone with a passion for the crime and thriller market as well as strong editorial skills. You will keep close tabs on industry, social media and market trends in order to spot smart publishing opportunities.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
A minimum of 2 years’ editorial experience is essential, ideally with some commissioning experience, especially digital.
The ideal candidate:
- Passionate about Crime & Thriller publishing
- Sound commercial awareness and ability to identify market trends and publishing opportunities
- Creative, with a proven record of successful ideas-generation
- Strong relationships with industry contacts and the digital capability to help grow the online community around our publishing
- Knowledge of the publishing process: commissioning, production and marketing for print, digital and audio
- Understanding of the financial drivers of the business and the ability to manage costs
- Negotiating skills and a thorough understanding of contracts
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strategically focused
- Excellent organisational and project management skills
- Thorough understanding of contracts
WHAT WE OFFER
The role is based in our riverside London office on Victoria Embankment working as part of a friendly, creative and ambitious team on one of the most well-established imprints in the industry. This is a chance to make your mark and gain a wider business understanding in the process, with plenty of support in skills and training.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
Closing date: 20th January 2020
Salary range: £28,000-37,000, depending on experience
To apply click here