Find us great authors. Create great books. Collaborate with a talented team. And learn all there is to know about creating digital bestsellers.
We’re looking not only for great publishing talent, but people who make a habit of improving the way things are done, who embrace change and who enjoy applying science and tech to creativity.
Bringing on board talented, consistent authors who we can work with over multiple books to build a readership for. We are looking for authors whose stories will have readers queuing up for more.
- Identify authors to target for acquisition
- Direct approaches – identifying authors to target for acquisition and creating persuasive pitches for authors/agents.
- Agent relationships – attract and acquire high-quality submissions from agents.
- Book pitches – create persuasive and commercially focussed pitches to take to acquisition.
- Creating author/agent proposals – outlining our vision and expectations for their books.
12 MONTH TARGET
10 x new authors acquired for global publication
AUTHOR MANAGEMENT / EDITING
Making our books as good as they can be – both in concept and execution. This will Include working on authors you have acquired plus selected other books.
- Concept development – working with authors at the start of projects to optimise commercial hooks and structure.
- Editorial revisions process – overseeing a rigorous editing process (including structural edits and line editing) designed to maximise the number of readers that will purchase other books from that author.
- Preparing manuscripts for typesetting / ebook conversion and supplying final files for distribution.
- Author management – ensuring we offer a good level of ‘customer service’ to our authors whilst also making the best commercial decisions for our books.
12 MONTH TARGET
All publications to have a minimum of 4.0 star rating on Amazon.
90% author retention of authors we want to keep publishing.
Working to maximise revenue for our authors by creating attention-grabbing, persuasive and search-optimised packaging and descriptions.
Reviewing the success of each of your title’s by checking Amazon rankings and sales and making changes to optimise if needed.
- Titles and subtitles chosen that are both persuasive and optimised for search.
- Cover design – creating and agreeing effective packaging by producing well researched, commercially focused, clear briefs and collaborating constructively with colleagues and freelance designers.
- Writing effective retailer descriptions and press releases.
- Metadata – drafting effective keywords for your titles with the support of the sales team.
- Categories analysing and selecting the best Amazon category choices for your books with the support of the sales team.
- Briefing PR and social media requirements, working closely with our publicity managers to ensure each campaign is as strong as possible.
- Monitoring – you are responsible for the success of your books – you’ll need to check how they’re doing daily – if underperforming we’ll need to change something, if performing we can increase promotional expenditure.
Commissioning experience is not essential, but the ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience in commercial fiction and digital publishing.
The salary band for this role is between £30,000 and £40,000 depending on experience, plus quarterly bonus.
Closing date: 6th July 2018
Please apply here
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are only able to get in touch directly with shortlisted candidates. If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please do let us know.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.